Breadcrumb Trail Links

As of May 1, all residents who rent their homes for short-term stays must have a full license or face a $ 1,000 fine.

Author of the article:

Regina Leader Post As of May 1st, Regina residents renting out their homes for short-term stays must have a license to do so. Photo by Brett Gundlock / Bloomberg

Article content

Would you like to rent out your house to short-term visitors? The city of Regina says you now need a license to do this.

All Regina residents who rent their homes for short-term stays must obtain a STA (Short-Term Accommodation) license, according to a press release released on Friday May 1st.

The city says the license will ensure that regulatory terms are consistent for all short-term residential accommodation and that enforcement costs remain low.

An STA license is required for anyone offering their own residence as accommodation for 30 days or less. The license costs $ 100 for a residence where the owner lives and $ 300 for a separate residence.

Residents who continue to operate short-term rentals without a STA license will be fined $ 1,000.

It must be renewed annually and the license number should be included in all rental offers on Airbnb, Vrbo or other public places. All licensees are required to keep a record of guests’ activities, including the number of nights rented.

For more information on the Short Term Housing Statute and STA license application, please visit

The news seems to be attacking us faster and faster. From COVID-19 updates, to politics and crime, and everything in between, it can be difficult to keep up. This is why the Regina Leader Post created an afternoon headline newsletter that can be delivered to your inbox daily to ensure you are kept up to date on the day’s most important news. Click here to login.