More than 2,600 Louisiana households affected by Hurricanes Laura and Delta are either waiting for or currently living in FEMA-provided Temporary Housing Units (THUs). Residents may be eligible to stay in their FEMA unit for up to 18 months from the date of the disaster declaration while securing a permanent housing solution. However, you must adhere to the terms of your license agreement.

Compliance with the license agreement

  • Only persons listed on the license can live in the THU, and the license cannot be transferred to another party. FEMA reserves the right to enter the unit for inspections or repairs within 24 hours. No notification is required in an emergency.
  • The fixed-term housing contract requires residents to develop a viable permanent or longer-term housing plan and demonstrate progress towards the completion of that plan. When long-term housing becomes available, residents may need to vacate the THU.
  • THU residents must fully cooperate with FEMA to schedule meetings that determine their further eligibility. This includes providing a landowner’s right of entry so FEMA can visit the residents’ damaged home to assess the progress of repairs.
  • Eligibility meetings are also used to ensure residents are making progress towards a permanent housing plan. Examples of progress are receipts for repairs or a signed rental agreement for new apartments.
  • Occupants are not allowed to use or store barbecues, fire pits, fireworks, propane tanks or other flammable substances in the device. Up to two pets are allowed.
  • The occupants are not allowed to paint or otherwise change the internal or external appearance of the THU. However, small adjustments that would be considered normal wear and tear are allowed, e.g. B. inserting small nails into the wall for hanging picture frames.
  • Survivors living in business parks must also abide by all of the park’s rules and regulations.
  • Violation of these or other terms in the license agreement could result in penalties or termination of the agreement.
  • Survivors with questions about the revocable residence permit should contact their case officer or the FEMA hotline at 800-621-3362 (TTY, 800-462-7585).

FEMA has expanded its services to answer your questions about TTHUs. If you haven’t been given a contact for your housing needs, you can call the FEMA hotline at 800-621-3362. The operator takes your information and forwards it to the direct housing department. If you use TTY call 800-462-7585. Those using a relay service such as a Videophone, InnoCaption, or CapTel should update FEMA with their specific number assigned to that service. The toll-free telephone lines run seven days a week from 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.

For the latest information on Hurricane Laura, visit Louisiana Hurricane Laura (DR-4559-LA). For the latest information on Hurricane Delta, visit Louisiana Hurricane Delta (DR-4570-LA). Follow the FEMA Region 6 Twitter account at